Apple-Bacon Pancakes with Cider Syrup
If you like apple pancakes and you like bacon, you’ll love the taste of these sweet, smoky pancakes. Any kind of apple works well. A quick cider syrup drizzled on top enhances the apple flavor.
Servings: 4 servings, 2 pancakes & 2 tablespoons syrup each.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar , divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely diced , (about 1 cup)
- 4 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon canola oil , divided
- Combine cider, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a small bowl. Whisk egg, egg white and buttermilk in a large bowl. Stir in the dry ingredients, apples and bacon until just combined. (The batter will be thick.)
- Brush a large nonstick skillet with 1/2 teaspoon oil and place over medium heat until hot. Cooking 4 at a time, use about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake and gently spread it to make them about 3 inches in diameter. Cook until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Reheat the cider syrup, if desired, and serve with the pancakes.
Per serving Calories: 261; Carbohydrates: 42g; Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Protein: 9g; Cholesterol: 62mg; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sodium: 463mg