Ravioli & Vegetable Soup
Aug 26, 2014
Servings: 4 servings, about 2 cups each
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Fresh or frozen ravioli cook in minutes and turn this light vegetable soup into a main course. Look for whole-wheat or whole-grain ravioli in the refrigerated or frozen section of the supermarket. Tortellini can be used instead of ravioli as well.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups frozen bell pepper and onion mix , thawed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper , or to taste (optional)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes , preferably fire-roasted
- 1 15-ounce can vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or marjoram
- 1 6- to 9-ounce package fresh or frozen cheese (or meat) ravioli , preferably whole-wheat
- 2 cups diced zucchini , (about 2 medium)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add pepper-onion mix, garlic and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, broth, water and basil (or marjoram); bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Add ravioli and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions.
- Add zucchini; return to a boil. Cook until the zucchini is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Season with pepper.
Per serving Calories: 264; Carbohydrates: 38g; Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Protein: 11g; Cholesterol: 28mg; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sodium: 762mg;