Greek Orzo Stuffed Peppers
This basic recipe will work with almost any filling. Try substituting different types of cheese, herbs or beans.
Servings: 4 servings
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 4 yellow, orange and/or red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup whole wheat orzo
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- medium onion, chopped
- 6 ounces baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed), chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving the stems attached. Remove the seeds and white membrane. Place the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool slightly, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Mash chickpeas into a chunky paste with a fork, leaving some whole.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add spinach and oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the orzo, chickpeas, 1/2 cup feta, tomatoes, vinegar and salt; cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle each pepper with some of the remaining 1/4 cup feta.
Calories: 344; Carbohydrates: 48g; Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Protein: 14g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Dietary Fiber: 11g; Sodium: 656mg